With 7 children we get disagreements on a daily basis. Resolving the disagreements can be challenging, especially if no-one wants to give anything. A method that works for us, when we remember to use it, goes as follows:
- As a group, make a list of all the options we can think of that will solve the problem. It doesn't matter how crazy the ideas are.
- When you have the list, quickly discuss each idea. Some will be obviously not workable, others may have a bit more discussion.
- If an idea is not workable, remove it from the list.
- As a group, pick 1 idea to try as a solution to the problem
This doesn't work if everyone is screaming and yelling and not listening to each other, so there are some ground rules:
- Everyone participates in the process in a respectful manner
- If you choose not to be respectful, then you will not be able to participate
- Be respectful, listen to each other's stories/reasoning
- If you choose not to participate then the decision will be made without you
This doesn't always work, but it has lead to some quick conflict resolution in the past