I love ice cream, unfortunately I've given up sugar, so I don't buy it any more. But the kids love it so I have been trying my hand a making it myself. I have a mixer with an ice cream maker bowl so that makes it a little easier.
The recipe I use is pretty simple
- 2.5 cups half and half or whole milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 2.5 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
The steps are as follows:
- Heat the half and half/whole milk until steaming
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar for 30 seconds until mixed and slightly thickened. Speed 2
- Add the steaming milk/cream to the egg mixture and mix
- Heat the mixture until steaming and bubbles form around edge of pan, stir constantly. Use a lower heat so that you don't scramble the eggs.
- Add the vanilla,whipping cream and salt
- Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight (this is needed for mixing bowl ice cream makers)
- Pour into ice cream maker bowl and churn on speed 1 until desired consistency is reached - about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve or scoop into a container and put in freezer to finish setting.
As the summer gets closer I will be experimenting with less sugar and more fruit in the ice cream so that I can enjoy it too.